DALLAS, May 7, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today introduced a 5.5-V step-down power module that delivers true, continuous 6-A output current with up to 95 percent efficiency. The easy-to-use TPSM82480 DC/DC module integrates power metal-oxide semiconductor field-effect transistors (MOSFETs) and shielded inductors into a tiny, low-profile footprint for space- and height-constrained applications such as point-of-load telecommunications, networking, and test and measurement power supplies. For more information, samples and an evaluation module, see www.ti.com/tpsm82480-pr.
TI’s highly integrated TPSM82480 maintains the required 6-A output current over the full temperature range without additional airflow. This is accomplished using a two-phase control topology that shares the load between the phases to ensure high efficiency and balanced operation. Additional features include adjustable soft start, voltage select (VSEL) to support multiple processor stages, and a power-good indicator.
TPSM82480 key features and benefits
- Ultra-small size: Two input/output capacitors and two resistors make up a complete solution footprint of 80 mm2 that measures just 1.5 mm in height.
- High efficiency: An optional automatic power-save mode maintains high efficiency across the full load range.
- Heat protection: Thermal-good output to alert the system to reduce power before overheating.
Read the blog post, "Decoding power module derating curves," to determine thermal limits in a power module data sheet.
Availability, packaging and pricing
Prototype samples of the TPSM82480 are available now through the TI store. Offered in a 24-pin quad flat micro (QFM) MicroSIP™ package, the module is priced at US$3.57 in 1,000-unit quantities. Order the TPSM82480EVM-002 evaluation module and download the PSpice transient models. Create a complete 5.5-V, 6-A DC/DC step-down solution now with WEBENCH® Power Designer.
The TPSM82480 is the newest addition to TI’s broad portfolio of DC/DC power modules that integrate inductors and MOSFETs into a single package to save board space and simplify prototyping, design and manufacturing.
Get more information
- Read the two-part Power House blog series, "Deciphering module data sheets," to learn what to look for in module data sheets to determine solution size and efficiency.
- Search for solutions, get help and share knowledge in the TI E2E™ Community Power Modules forum.
- Download power reference designs from the TI Designs reference design library.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog integrated circuits (ICs) and embedded processors. By employing the world’s brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology. TI is helping approximately 100,000 customers transform the future, today. Learn more at www.ti.com.
WEBENCH is a registered trademark and MicroSIP and TI E2E are trademarks of Texas Instruments. All other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments