DALLAS, Nov. 7, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- To advance millimeter-wave (mmWave) sensor technology in worldwide industrial applications, Texas Instruments (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today announced its 60-GHz sensor portfolio, the highest resolution single-chip, complementary metal-oxide semiconductor (CMOS), for industrial systems. IWR6x mmWave sensors enable industrial automation through on-chip processing capabilities, providing real-time decision-making and signal processing. The newest 60-GHz mmWave sensors will be the first to include antenna-on-package offerings, which remove traditional challenges associated with radio-frequency (RF) design while shrinking size up to 75% and reducing overall cost.
With 60-GHz mmWave sensors, engineers worldwide can integrate mmWave technology into a vast range of robotics, factory automation and building automation designs while leveraging the ISM band for broad deployment. Built for industrial performance, high resolution IWR6x sensors provide up to 4 GHz of ultra-wide bandwidth to detect objects and motion up to 16 times more accurately than 24-GHz narrowband solutions. For product details, see www.ti.com/iwr6x-pr.
Key features and benefits of IWR6x sensors
- Intelligent autonomy at the edge: Integrated processing capabilities enable the sensor to reduce false positives and make real-time decisions, eliminating the need for a microcontroller or processor in many systems.
- Highest-resolution sensing: Ultra-wideband mmWave sensors detect objects, people, and motion as fine as breathing and typing, with up to 16 times greater resolution than 24-GHz sensors.
- Optimized for industrial automation: mmWave technology expands building and factory automation capabilities, enabling smarter people counting, motion detection, robotics, safety guards, vital sign monitoring, and more.
- Enhanced system accuracy: 60-GHz mmWave sensors improve the accuracy of existing systems by operating in crowded spaces; in various lighting and environmental conditions; and through materials such as glass, plastic and drywall.
- Simplifying industrial designs: With a platform that includes antenna-on-package, a scalable software platform, application-specific algorithms, and multiple reference designs, designers can get started immediately.
Availability and pricing
Preproduction IWR6843 devices will be available through the TI store starting November 12. The IWR6843 modular development platform (IWR6843-STARTER-BDL) is available for US $348, and additional antenna modules (IWR6843ISK) are available for US $149.
Find out more about the IWR6x sensor portfolio
- Learn more about the new 60-GHz mmWave sensor portfolio.
- Read our white paper about how 60-GHz mmWave sensors enable smarter industrial applications.
- Get started with the IWR6843 reference designs for people counting and zone occupancy detection, including source code and algorithms.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog integrated circuits (ICs) and embedded processors. By employing the world’s brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology. TI is helping approximately 100,000 customers transform the future, today. Learn more at www.TI.com.
SOURCE Texas Instruments