DALLAS, Feb. 19, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments (TI) (Nasdaq: TXN) today introduced the industry’s smallest 36-V, 4-A power module in a quad flat no-lead (QFN) package. The TPSM53604 DC/DC buck module’s 5-mm-by-5.5-mm footprint enables engineers to shrink the size of their power supply by 30% while reducing power loss by 50% when compared to similar competing modules. The new power module comes with a single thermal pad to optimize heat transfer, enabling engineers to simplify board mounting and layout. For more information, samples and evaluation modules, see www.ti.com/TPSM53604-pr.
The TPSM53604 can operate in ambient temperatures as high as 105°C to support rugged applications in factory automation and control, grid infrastructure, test and measurement, industrial transport, and aerospace and defense.
By pairing the TPSM53604 with a compact step-down module such as the TPSM82813 and TPSM82810, engineers can create a complete power solution from a 24-V input down to the point of load, while minimizing design time and effort.
Key benefits and features of the TPSM53604
- Shrink and simplify the power solution: Its total area of 85 mm2 for a single-sided layout is the smallest solution for common 24-V, 4-A industrial applications. The standard QFN footprint helps simplify design and thereby reduce time to market.
- Efficiently dissipate heat at high ambient temperatures: 42% of the TPSM53604’s QFN package footprint touches the board, enabling more efficient heat transfer compared to competing ball-grid-array (BGA) packages. In addition, the module’s buck converter integrates MOSFETs with low drain-source on resistance (RDS(on)) to enable conversion efficiency of 90% at 24 V to 5 V. Watch the video, "Enhancing power supply performance with the TPSM53604 power module," for more details.
- Easily meet EMI standards: The TPSM53604’s integrated high-frequency bypass capacitors and lack of bond wires help engineers meet the electromagnetic interference (EMI) standard defined by CISPR (Comité International Spécial des Perturbations Radioélectriques) 11 Class B limits.
Package, availability and pricing
The TPSM53604 is now available from TI and authorized distributors in a 5-mm-by-5.5-mm QFN package. Pricing starts at US$3.65 in 1,000-unit quantities. The TPSM53604 evaluation module is available on TI.com for US$49. Production quantities of the TPSM53602 (2-A) and TPSM53603 (3-A) modules are also now available from TI and authorized distributors. Pricing starts at US$2.64 and US$3.21 in 1,000-unit quantities, respectively.
Learn more from TI’s power experts
- See the extensive range of power designs in TI’s reference design library.
- Learn about TI’s diverse selection of DC/DC buck modules and its comprehensive portfolio of buck module products.
- Search for fast, verified answers and design help from TI experts in the TI E2E™ Power Management forum.
About Texas Instruments
From connected cars and intelligent homes to self-monitoring health devices and automated factories, Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (Nasdaq: TXN) products are at work in virtually every type of electronic system. With operations in more than 30 countries, we engineer, manufacture, test and sell analog and embedded semiconductor chips. Our employees, about 30,000 worldwide, are driven by core values of integrity, innovation and commitment, and they work every day to shape the future of technology. Learn more at www.ti.com.
TI E2E is a trademark of Texas Instruments. All other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments