DALLAS, Nov. 1, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today introduced two new isolated Controller Area Network (CAN) flexible data rate (FD) transceivers that combine the industry’s highest bus fault protection, highest common-mode transient immunity (CMTI), and lowest electromagnetic emissions into a 35 percent smaller package. With a higher working voltage than competing devices and faster communication speeds than the classic CAN standard, the ISO1042 and ISO1042-Q1 help engineers better protect low-voltage circuits and increase communication throughput in industrial applications such as grid infrastructure, motor drives and building automation, as well as hybrid electric vehicles and electric vehicles (HEVs/EVs). For more information, see www.ti.com/iso1042-pr and www.ti.com/iso1042-Q1-pr.
Key features and benefits of TI’s ISO1042 and ISO1042-Q1 isolated CAN FD transceivers
- Highest working voltage: With an 18 percent higher working voltage of 1,000 Vrms and a withstand voltage of 5,000 Vrms, the ISO1042 and ISO1042-Q1 feature longer lifetimes, resulting in improved system reliability.
- Increased device protection: Featuring a high bus fault protection of ±70 V, which provides a 20 percent higher short-to-DC margin, the ISO1042 and ISO1042-Q1 protect 12-, 24- and 48-V battery or power-supply systems during high-voltage shorts.
- Industry-leading immunity and emissions:
- Highest electromagnetic immunity: The ISO1042 and ISO1042-Q1 feature a CMTI of 85 kV/us (minimum) with high ESD protection of +/- 8 kV, using the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) testing standard, which helps engineers design electronics that can maintain operation in noisy environments.
- Lowest EMC emissions: The ISO1042 and ISO1042-Q1 deliver the industry’s lowest electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) emissions, thereby maintaining system signal integrity. The ISO1042-Q1 meets the automotive industry standard (IEC TS62228) for robust EMC.
- Drive signals faster in CAN-based systems: These transceivers support CAN FD speeds up to 5 Mbps with a short loop delay of 215 ns (maximum), enabling faster payload compared to classic CAN.
Package, availability and pricing
The ISO1042 and ISO1042-Q1 are available now through the TI store and authorized distributors. Basic and reinforced options of each device are available in either a 10.3-mm-by-7.5-mm, 16-pin or a 5.8-mm-by-7.5-mm, 8-pin small-outline integrated (SOIC) package. Pricing starts at US$1.69 in 1,000-unit quantities for industrial versions and US$1.99 in 1,000-unit qualities for automotive versions.
Tools to speed design
Engineers can easily evaluate these devices with the ISO1042DWEVM and ISO1042DWVEVM evaluation modules, available for US$49.00 each through the TI store and authorized distributors.
Visit TI at electronica
Texas Instruments is demonstrating the interoperability of various isolated CAN-based systems, which feature the ISO1042, in Hall C4 – Booth 131 at electronica at Messe München in Germany, Nov. 13-16, 2018.
Learn more about TI’s isolated CAN devices
- Download the ISO1042 and ISO1042-Q1 data sheets.
- Watch the video, "Key considerations when selecting isolated CAN transceivers."
- Read the application note, "Isolate your CAN systems without compromising on performance or space," to learn more about isolated CAN transceiver functionality and benefits.
- Explore TI’s isolated CAN portfolio.
- Search for solutions and engage with fellow engineers and TI experts in the TI E2E™ Community Isolation forum.
High-voltage isolation for robust operation
The ISO1042 and ISO1042-Q1 join TI’s portfolio of isolation products that deliver the industry’s highest isolation ratings and longest lifetimes. Learn more about how engineers can increase system reliability and lifetime with TI isolation technology at TI.com/isolation.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog integrated circuits (ICs) and embedded processors. By employing the world’s brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology. TI is helping approximately 100,000 customers transform the future, today. Learn more at www.TI.com.
TI E2E is a trademark of Texas Instruments. All registered trademarks and other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments